Mathematics of Machine Learning Summer SchoolThe information on this page is exclusively for the MSRI-sponsored students,TAs and instructors.
- Schedule of events
- Videos of lectures can be found here during livestreaming and once finished, in this playlist: 2019 Mathematics of Machine Learning Summer School.
- Papers for Friday, August 9 presentations
- Problem sets, additional lecture and other materials and suggested prerequisites
- Feedback form
- Collegiality/Anti-Harassment Statement (courtesy of MSRI)
- MSRI page about summer school
- Below you can find information about
- Locations and directions to events
- Information about housing and food for students and TAs that will be coming in from out of town
- All lectures will be held in the the Amazon Auditorium on the ground floor of the Bill and Melinda Gates Center.
- Problem sessions will be held in Classroom G10 of the Gates Center.
- Coffee breaks and lunches will be held in Zillow Commons on the fourth floor of the Gates Center.
- Here is a campus map showing the Gates Center. Here are directions for getting to the Gates Center by car and by public transportation.
- If you are staying in the dormitories, it is a 10-15 minute walk to the Gates Center.
- On Thursday, August 8, there will be a field trip to
Microsoft Research Redmond Campus (MSR), Building 99..
- We will have a shuttle from the dormitory (on the University of Washington campus) to
- The shuttle will leave from outside McMahon hall at 8:45am.
- You should be back at about 6pm.
- Students and TAs not staying at the dormitories can either get a ride to MSR with those coming from the dormitories or will be expected to get to Microsoft on their own: Address is
14820 NE NE 36th St, Redmond, WA 98052.
- We will have a shuttle from the dormitory (on the University of Washington campus) to Microsoft Research.
- Accomodations: Visiting students and TAs will be staying in North Campus at McMahon Hall.
- Check-in: You'll be checking in at Willow Hall (phone number 206-685-2959; 4294 Whitman Lane NE, Seattle, WA 98105). (There is someone manning the desk at Willow Hall 24 hours a day.)
- Here is some basic guest information.
- When you check in, you will receive a building access card.
- The building access card is pre-programmed for food purchases (see section on food below).
- Your dormitory room comes equipped with linens, towels and a blanket. You'll want to bring your own alarm clock if you need one.
- Here is some other useful information about the accomodations.
- Hardwired Ethernet access is available in all sleeping rooms (Ethernet cord not included). Unfortunately, in McMahon, wireless Internet access is not available. You will have wireless Internet access at the Gates Center (where the summer school will take place).
- If you are staying at McMahon Hall, at check-in you will be provided with a dining card that will enable you to purchase food (at no cost to you) at any of the on-campus dining locations. The expectation is that you can use this for breakfast Monday, July 29 - Saturday, August 10, dinner from Sunday, July 28 - Friday, August 9, and for lunch on Saturday and Sunday, August 3 and 4. On the summer school days, we will provide lunch at the summer school.
- Probably the most relevant dining and food option for breakfasts and dinners is Center Table at Willow Hall. Center Table is open for breakfast from 7-9am, for lunch from 11am- 1:30pm and for dinner from 5-7pm. Here is information about other options.
Brought to you through the funding support of the academic sponsoring institutions of the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, Berkeley, CA, Microsoft Research, and the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington, and in cooperation with the Algorithmic Foundations of Data Science Institute at the University of Washington.